Black Lentils, Red Quinoa, & Hummus make these "Endive Boats" High-Fiber, High-Protein Vessels
Black Lentil & Red Quinoa Endive Boats
with avocado and hummus
Protein champions quinoa, black lentils, egg, and hummus combine with high fiber avocado, endives (and again the lentils, quinoa, and hummus) for a powerfully delicious creation. Enjoy 3-5 of these “Endive Boats” as the main entree for a meal or much on 1-2 boats as a healthy snack.
Suggested Meal Pairings:
♥ 4 Endive Boats +Small Mixed Greens Salad + 1/2 sliced orange or mango
♥ 4 Endive Boats + Carrot Cinnamon Smoothie
♥ 3 Endive Boats + Cup of Fit French Onion Soup
♥ 2 Endive Boats + Aguacate Relleño de Atún
-1/2 cup dried black lentils
-1/2 cup dried red (or tricolor) quinoa
-1 small avocado (cubed)
-1 onion (chopped)
– 1/4 cup almond meal (almond flour)
1/4 cup spelt or buckwheat flour
-4 tbsp curry powder
-1 tsp turmeric & 1 tsp cumin (optional)
-2-3 large endive heads
-hummus (for topping)
– crumbled goat’s cheese or blue cheese (optional topping)
-1 tbsp olive or peanut oil
1) Boil water (amount determined by your lentil bag’s instructions– usually about 4x water to the amount of dried lentils). Add enough water for both the lentils and the quinoa. So if you are using 1/2 cup of each, try using 4 cups water. When the water reaches a boil add the rinsed dried black lentils. After 15 minutes add the quinoa. Cook for an additional 10-15 minutes.
2) Chop onion and sauté in a pan with 1 tbsp oil.When onions begin to brown slightly, add your two eggs and stir until eggs are cooked. Set this pan aside from the heat once eggs have cooked.
3) Combine all spices, avocado, and egg/onion mix once the quinoa and lentils have cooked to the pot with the cooked quinoa lentil mix. Note that if there is excess water remaining, drain the water before adding remaining ingredients. (Do not add the toppings or endive leaves yet).
4) Using a hand blender, slightly blend your ingredients together so that they are well mixed but a grain texture remains. If you do not have a blender, simply stir vigorously for 3-5 minutes until ingredients are well mixed.
5) Scoop out contents and add to your fresh endive leaves. Top with hummus, goat cheese (optional), and any additional herbs if desired. Enjoy!