Blueberry Cornbread Muffins
with a hint of lime
– 1 1/4 cup GF ground cornmeal
– Just under 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
– 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
– 1 1/2 tbsp honey
– Pinch of sea salt
– 1 egg
– 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or chilled coconut milk)
– handful of fresh or frozen (de-thawed) blueberries
– juice squeezed from one fresh lime
-olive or canola oil (just enough to lightly coat baking tray)
1) Preheat oven to 425°F. Combine ingredients in large bowl, mixing well.
2) Lightly coat 8 muffin baking tray spaces with olive or canola oil. You can skip this step if you have a non-stick pan. If you don’t have a muffin baking tray, you can use a regular baking tray and pour the mixture into about 8 muffin foil tins.
3) Bake at 425°F for 15-20 minutes. Mine only took 15 minutes. Enjoy hot and place the rest in a sealed container to store in the fridge. The muffins are great chilled as well. The perfect spread to compliment: earth balance organic coconut spread + fresh lime juice + light shake of salt. Enjoy!
Note: If you are serving these to individuals with gluten allergies, make sure that you purchase ground corn flour that is clearly labeled as gluten-free. While corn is naturally free of gluten, some unlabeled varieties may be processed in a facility that also processes wheat products. For those without an allergy or intolerance, any cornmeal is fine but go for one with a GF seal if anyone eating the muffins has celiac to be certain there’s no cross-contamination risk.