A surprisingly refreshing mushroom soup. Accented by the flavors of fresh parsley, lemon, and cloves. I used 2 boxes Baby Bella and 1 box white mushrooms but any variety would work.
with black lentils and cloves
Yet another delicious soup to keep you warm this season! This recipe is an adaptation of this recipe from Jamie Oliver’s Member Recipes. Mushrooms, onions, and garlic are all wonderful immune-boosting foods. Parsley adds a refreshing complement to the flavors and a blast of immune-boosting vitamin C. Black lentils turn this soup from a tasty side dish to a filling meal, and are a remarkably good source of iron.
-3 10 oz boxes of mushrooms
-2 large onions
-1/2 cup dry black lentils
-1 cup chopped fresh parsley
-3 cloves garlic (crushed & chopped)
-1/2 tsp grated ginger (or thinly sliced)
-2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
-2 cups water
– 1/4 tsp cloves
-4 tbsp whole wheat flour or almond powder
-2 tsp lemon juice
-2 tbsp olive oil (or canola)
-2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
-Pinch of salt and pepper to taste
Note: You will cook the lentils in a separate saucepan so have two pans ready.
1. In your smaller pan, add 1/2 cup dry black lentils and 2 cups water. Heat to boiling and then reduce to a simmer and cook for at least 20 minutes. The lentils will cook while you prepare the rest of your soup. Add more water (or vegetable broth) if needed.
2. Chop onions and add to large saucepan (deep enough to hold at least 5 cups of volume) along with olive oil and heat to medium-high heat. Stir frequently. Immediately chop and crush garlic and add to pan. Wash mushrooms (removing dirt with a damp clothe or paper towel) and cut into small pieces. Add to saucepan and stir frequently.
3. While mushrooms, garlic, and onions cook for several minutes, prepare remaining ingredients. Wash and chop parsley, ginger, and thyme. Add remaining soup ingredients and stir well. Add your cooked black lentils as well.
4. Using an immersion (hand) blender, blend soup lightly until it reaches a smooth consistency but still has some texture from the mushrooms.
5. Serve hot and garnish with fresh parsley. Delicious when served with crisp garlic bread. Enjoy!