The OFFICIAL Tufts Dining Services Recipe
– 5 tbsp. butter (or olive oil)
– 1 cup onions peeled and minced
– 1 tbsp. fresh minced ginger
– 1 and 3/4 cup vegetable or chicken stock
– 1/2 cup peeled minced carrots
– 2 cups cubed butternut squash, cooked
– 1 dash ground cayenne pepper
– 1 dash ground pepper
– 1/2 cup pasteurized heavy cream 40% (OR 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable broth)
For a low-fat, dairy-free version of the recipe, use olive oil instead of butter and broth instead of the heavy cream.
1. Saute onions, carrots and ginger in butter (or olive oil) until onions just begin to turn golden. Steam butternut squash until “well cooked”, reserve.
2. Add water and veggie light to base to make stock, then add remaining ingredients “except heavy cream”. Heat to boiling, then reduce to a simmer covered until vegetables are tender.
3. When veggies are tender, add add heavy cream (or broth) and heat just to a simmer, and continue to simmer for 5 minutes. Turn off heat, and add cream.
This recipe was added to Tufts Dining menu in 2002 by John F. Adjustments were made as per Paul Rudolph in 2003. Thank you to Tufts Dining for sharing this recipe with us! Also thank you to John F. and Paul Rudolph for making this recipe the one that we know and love so well today!
For a low-fat, dairy-free version of the recipe, use olive oil instead of butter and chicken broth instead of the heavy cream.