Sweet Potato Pancakes
with cinnamon & walnuts
Sweet, nutty, nutritious, and crave-worthy. Plan ahead for this recipe–you will want the cooked potato to have time to cool in the fridge overnight or for several hours.
Makes 1 hearty serving that can be eaten by one or shared by two
- 2 small sweet potatoes (choose smaller, or long and narrower potatoes for easier microwave baking)
– 1 1/2 tbsp 100% buckwheat flour
– 2 cage-free eggs (or one egg + 3 tbsp 100% egg white)
– Dash of cinnamon (to taste)
-light dash of salt
– 1 tbsp chopped walnut pieces
- 1 tsp 100% maple syrup (for topping)
– 1 tsp olive or canola oil to lightly grease pan
1) MAKE AHEAD: Rinse sweet potatoes well and poke each several times with a fork. Place in microwave-safe dish with 2 tbsp water and microwave on high for 4-6 minutes until potato feels soft and well-cooked when poked with a fork. Place cooked potatoes carefully (they will be hot) in a closed container in the fridge overnight or for several hours until cook.
2) Remove skin from cooled cooked potatoes and place flesh into a large bowl. Mix in all ingredients (except walnuts, maple syrup, and oil). Mash and mix the ingredients well until smooth then stir in walnuts.
3) Grease pan lightly with olive or canola oil and heat pan to medium-high heat. Carefully spoon out batter onto pan and press with metal spatula to flatten into pancake shapes. Allow batter to lightly brown on one side (about 1 minute) then flip and cook other side. Reduce heat when you add the second batch or if batter starts to brown to quickly.
4) Serve immediately with light drizzle of pure maple syrup. Top with additional walnut pieces if desired.